If your dog suffers from intestinal parasites, fenbendazole powder is an excellent option for treatment. This powerful medication has been employed by veterinarians for years and is safe and effective when used according to your vet’s instructions. The article below explores the basics of fenbendazole and explains its advantages, risks, and optimal circumstances for using this medication.
Fenbendazole belongs to the benzimidazole class of medications and functions by binding to a protein in parasite cells known as microtubulin. This disrupts cell formation and energy production for the parasite, causing it to die off. It also destroys the shells of helminth eggs, which prevents their hatching and development. This is an especially important feature when treating high parasite burdens, as it reduces the likelihood of gastrointestinal obstruction.
The medication is a broad spectrum anthelmintic and can be used for the deworming of cattle, sheep, goats, horses, dogs, cats, fur animals (rabbits, ferrets), and pigs. It can be used to treat infestations of gastrointestinal nematodes such as roundworms, hookworms, whipworms, lungworms, and the taenia species of tapeworms. It can also be used to treat giardia and certain types of liver flukes in dogs.
The medication is available in granules or a liquid suspension that must be mixed with food and administered orally. Liquid forms should be measured carefully to avoid overdoses, which can be dangerous in rare instances. Overdoses can result in a severe allergic reaction called anaphylaxis. This may include hives, facial swelling, lethargy, trouble breathing, and collapse. Contact your veterinarian immediately if you suspect an overdose of fenbendazole.